Saturday, May 3, 2014

Kids And Horror

When was your first horror movie you remember watching. For me it was Night Of The Living Dead, I remember being with my parents at the Gratiot Drive-In when I was 4 and on that night an obsession was born.


Truthfully I don't remember to much of that night. But I do remember being there. And that brings us to what I wanted to talk about today. How old is to young to introduce your child to horror movies. For me I think at about 5 or 6 is old enough to start watching some of the scarier films now I'm not talking about letting them watch Saw or Hostel but some of the milder movies. Because let's be honest most of the Xbox generation won't find the classic movie monsters appealing. Each parent needs to make this decision on their own. I base my decision on swearing and nudity/sex, a little swearing is fine my 9 year old knows what "bad words" are and a few GD's and hells aren't going to turn him into Jason I do draw the line at the the big one the "F" word one or two maybe fine but really do we need to hear it every other sentence don't get me wrong I can cuss like a drunken sailor mated with a outlaw biker. As for nudity I just don't feel comfortable watch softcore snuff with my kids even the adult ones. While nudity is always a deal breaker, There are a few exceptions to the swearing rule if I feel the movie is important to the genre or subgenre. A case in point would be Shaun of the Dead I felt it was such a defining moment in Zombie movies that the positives outweighed the negatives . What's your opinion on this I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

1 comment:

  1. chalie evans (Mushie)May 3, 2014 at 5:45 AM

    My first movie was "Creature From The Black Lagoon" it was about 1959. Iwas so scared at the start of the movie we had to leave. It was in Stutgart,Germany. My Dad took me one night. On the way home the Military Police gave us a ride home because it was raining. To this day I've never watched that old black and white movie. It was a night I'll never forget. Seen horror movies since then,but not that one. Funny how something can scrare you that much without watching it!

    ReplyDelete