Monday, June 16, 2014

Jack Thomas Smith Writer/Director Of Infliction

We had a chance to sit down with writer and director Jack Smith to talk about his up coming feature Infliction and whats next from Fox Trail Productions

Epic Horror-With eight years between films, what have yourself and Fox Trail Productions been doing ?

Jack Thomas Smith - That's a great question. I've been in development HELL!!! I had a verbal commitment for the financing for my action/horror feature "In The Dark", but then it fell through when the market tanked in 2008. From there, I scrambled to find
investors and dealt with two different studios to put together the project. But after endless rewrites and delays, I shifted my focus and efforts to "Infliction."

EHWhat lessons have you taken away from music videos for your films and vica versa.

JTSI always try to keep it true to the movie... And true to the artist's vision. For example, we shot a music video for my last film "Disorder." The artist's name is Purple Pam. She's a rocker from NYC. The song "Take Me Away" is a beautiful ballad and was a change of direction for her. The song dealt with suicide, so I incorporated Pam's vision and meaning behind the song with 
  the same locations that we shot the film. It really came out great and tied both the song and the movie together.

EHWith Fox Trail adding more movies to it's stable, what genre are you most comfortable with?

JTS I love thrillers. I'm a big Brian DePalma guy. I love 
  films that have a tight story and keep you guessing... And then right when you think you have it figured out... There's a twist ending. I love complex characters and actually CARING about characters... That way it makes it so much more impactful when you lose them. With that being said, those are the types of films I like to make... Films that will keep you on the edge of your seat and will have you talking afterwards.

EH - With films like Disorder, Infliction,and your upcoming In The Dark, What do you look for in a horror movie?

JTS I love horror films that have a strong story and suspense. If the movie calls for gore... Awesome.  But if it's not necessary, then it's not necessary. Personally, gore doesn't scare me. Suspense is what scares me. I love when you're on the edge of your seat... You 
  have no idea what's coming next... It's the anticipation of what's to come that I find to be scarier than splatter in your face without that suspenseful buildup.

EHMost overused horror cliches

JTS I hate when tension is building during a scene... And then a cat jumps out of nowhere. Can't stand that. Lol.

EHWas there a particular event or time that you recognized that filmmaking was not just a hobby, but that it would be your life and your living?

JTSIt's something that's always been in me. Writing and filmmaking is part of my DNA. It's all I know. When I was 8, I saw "Star Wars" and that absolutely blew me away. And shortly after that, I read "The Shining" by Stephen King and that knocked me off my feet as well. At a very young age, I wanted to write and make films. And as an adult, it's the only career I've ever pursued.

EHHow did growing up shape you as a filmmaker?

JTS As a teenager, I obsessively 
  watched films by George Romero, John Carpenter, Martin Scorsese, Brian 
  DePalma, and Stanley Kubrick. I'd practically study their films... 
  Why did a particular scene work? How did they build the tension or develop the characters? Their styles of filmmaking were brilliant and helped set the moods of their films... But their styles never got in the way of the stories. It was during that time that my father bought me a super 8 movie camera and I started shooting horror shorts and comedy shorts with my brother and friends in my neighborhood. It was a lot of fun, but I also started to learn 
  the process even on such a small scale of working with actors, shooting coverage, locations, props, wardrobe, etc. We have those
old films on DVD and every once in a while we throw them on for a good laugh.

EHIs it harder to get started or to keep going? What was the particular thing that you had to conquer to do either?

JTSIt's really hard to break into the 
  entertainment business. When I was in my early 20s, I had completed my first screenplay and shopped it around to everyone and anyone -- studios, agents, etc. I was rejected by everyone. At that time, I had been introduced to Ted Bohus, who is an indie feature film director and producer, and we talked about doing our own film for a small budget. So we did just that... I co-wrote the screenplay with Ted and he directed "The Regenerated Man",  which was a sci-fi/horror campy type of film. We made the film for a small amount of money that we were able to pull together ourselves and secured a nationwide video deal for double our investment when it was complete. But then from there, it took another three years to put together the money for the next 

film that I produced for John Russo, who co-wrote and produced the original "Night of the Living Dead." The name of that film was "Santa Claws" and it was about a guy in a Santa Claus costume running around killing people. John directed it and I produced it and we ultimately secured distribution. From there it took six years to pull together the financing for my next film "Disorder", which I wrote, produced, and directed. "Disorder" is a psychological thriller told from the perspective of a paranoid schizophrenic... So you don't know what's real and what isn't... And right when you think you have it figured out... There's a twist ending. "Disorder" was distributed on DVD by Universal/Vivendi and on PPV and VOD by Warner Brothers. After "Disorder", I was in development hell for

years with "In The 
Dark" as I described earlier before I started "Infliction" in 2011. It's a long-winded answer... The bottom line is that it's hard to break into the movie business and it's equally as hard to stay in the movie business. You just have to keep moving forward and pushing your projects.

EHWhat was the most important lesson you had to learn that has had a positive effect on your films? How did that lesson happen?

JTSYou learn something new with every film. I'm a firm believer in a lot of rehearsals with the actors... I storyboard every single shot and I walk through all of the setups with the DP in advance. The most important part of making a film is Pre-Production. You have
to plan and rehearse and prepare obsessively so that when you're on set you don't miss a beat. Things always happen when you shoot that you can't plan for, but if you have a solid plan in place, you can push through it. There's an old saying... "Fix it in post." And that's true to a certain extent... But you don't want to rely on post completely to make your film work. If you put in the work before you start shooting, it will make the entire process so much better and smoother

EHWhat films have been the most inspiring or influential to you and why?

JTSThere's a lot. When I was a kid, it was definitely "Star Wars" and "Dawn of the Dead." For obvious reasons, "Star Wars" changed everything. George Lucas created something so original and unique... I loved the characters... The story... And the effects were amazing. It was a perfect movie. "Dawn of the Dead" is my 
  all-time favorite horror film. It was scary and the effects were off the charts... And you really wanted the characters to survive. As I got older, I realized the shot "Dawn of the Dead" took at American consumerism... We're all mindless zombies going to the malls to buy our name brands. Other films that I love and have influenced me are "Apocalypse Now", "The Crow", "Platoon", "Scarface," and "Goodfellas."

EH“It all starts with the script.” Maybe not, but when do you know a script is ready to shoot, and what is your process of getting it there?

JTSI guess the best way to answer this question is that I just know. When I write a screenplay, I'm conscious of the fact that there are certain plot points that need to be hit in the appropriate places and the story must flow. You're constantly tweaking 
  the script... Even when you rehearse right up to when you're on set... You can tweak and adjust the dialogue as it seems fit... And usually when I complete the script I storyboard my shots so that visually I have the film in front of me and I put together detailed shot lists so that i know the exact order how to shoot everything

EHWhat do audiences want? And is it the filmmaker’s role to worry about that?

JTS I'm as guilty as any other filmmaker in that I want to make movies that I'd like to see and I want to tell stories that mean something to me. However, I also understand that audiences want to be entertained and that they want to see something original and thought provoking. Hopefully, the films that I make satisfy my needs as an artist, but more importantly entertain the audience and leave them discussing it and thinking about what they just watched.

EHIt is said that your upcoming film "In The Dark" was based on where you lived in Michigan, Any plans to shoot there.

JTS I'd LOVE to shoot there. In particular, I'd love to shoot on Grosse Ile, which is where I lived when I was a kid before moving to NJ. It all depends on the financing and Michigan's state tax credits if it makes sense to shoot there.

EHIf I walked up to an audience leaving one of your films, what would you want them to tell me

JTSI'd like for them to tell you that they have very passionate 
  feelings about what they just saw. I want the audience to talk about my films after seeing them. We've had screenings of "Infliction" in different parts of the country followed by Q&A sessions and the discussions have been very lively. "Infliction" seems to be striking a nerve with people... especially with women... because of its disturbing subject matter

EHOne last question what can we look forward to from yourself and Fox Trail? 

JTSI'm hoping to shoot "In The Dark" next year. That project has been a labor of love for years and I'm determined to make it happen. I'm also planning to start writing the drama "Illegals", which will be honest and unbiased in regards to the illegal immigration issue that effects us today. 











No comments:

Post a Comment